Sarah @ work gave us this terrific salad recipe:
Quinoa Salad Recipe
- 1 cup Quinoa (Rinse well, add to 2 cups boiling water, simmer covered for 12-15 min. let sit for 5).
- 2 big handfuls dried cranberries
- 1 handful sliced almonds
- 1 handful pine nuts (optional)
Add all these ingredients into a large bowl.
- 2 tbsp chopped green onion
- 6 tbsp Orange Juice
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup (optional — can sub a pinch of sugar)
- 1 clove garlic chopped finely
- 1/3+ cup olive oil
- Salt, salt, salt to taste.
Make dressing separately and then mix in well.
You can modify it numerous ways; try adding orange zest; swap out cranberries for any other dried sweet fruit; use toasted almonds; add cut up veggies.
Quinoa is also good vehicle getting rid of those left over fruits and vegetables — although you’ll probably want to make the dressing less sweet depending on how you change the ingredients.
This salad is best “2nd day” – make it and leave it stand covered in the fridge overnight. The dressing soaks in.